It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maybe it was all in Anne's genes...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:58 am 
Kindred Spirit

http://sciencenordic.com/redheads-feel- ... -kind-pain

Post subject: Re: Maybe it was all in Anne's genes...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:55 pm 
Bosom Friend

I have heard it predicted that red hair could be extinct in 100 years, and blonde extinct in 200 years' time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm 
Kindred Spirit

Yeah, I've heard red hair could die out in 60 years. I doubt it would be that fast. I would think maybe in a few hundred year's time. There are still enough of us to carry it on for awhile. I guess the reason they say it will die out is because fewer carriers of the red hair gene (who are not necessarily redheads themselves) are having children with other red hair carriers. I've never heard that blond hair is expected to die out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:11 pm 
Bosom Friend

never knew that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19 am 
Window Friend

hannikan wrote:
Yeah, I've heard red hair could die out in 60 years. I doubt it would be that fast. I would think maybe in a few hundred year's time. There are still enough of us to carry it on for awhile. I guess the reason they say it will die out is because fewer carriers of the red hair gene (who are not necessarily redheads themselves) are having children with other red hair carriers. I've never heard that blond hair is expected to die out.

Have you ever noticed that sometimes a child's hair will not stay blonde or red? When I was a baby and toddler, I had reddish blond hair. According to what I have been told and from pictures. And my younger brother had almost white blonde hair. Well, even before we were out of childhood, we both had medium brown hair. You might even call it dark brown, but not black. In my case, I have reddish highlights. And one time, I was out in the sun and wind too long and it streaked red. I still have a redheaded complextion. Lots of freckles. Both of us are in our forties now and the gray hairs are really popping up a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 am 
Kindred Spirit

It hasn't happened to me, but I have a friend from HS that had bright red hair that has gone blond since she hit her 30's. I've never heard of that. She's 35, like me. She used to dye her hair a lot and that could have something to do with it. I know some people have ash blond hair that can look reddish in some lights, but really it isn't red. Sometimes it looks more reddish when the person is younger. As for your brother, that's standard with pale blond haired children. Very few kids who have the platinum blond color have it as adults. My husband had it and so did my mom. At about adolescence they both turned brunette. Most people's turn what my mom calls dirty blond, sort of a light brown. That's what my husband's hair has been since he was a teen. My mom's was that color as a teen, but went even darker as an adult. Hers became more chestnut brown.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:19 am 
Window Friend

I think my hair doesn't lighten because I don't get out into the sun that much. My skin burns easy,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:25 am 
Kindred Spirit

My friend is like a vampire. ;) She never goes out in the sun. I think she bleached her hair too many times though. I used to swim a lot in the summer and, in the front, my red hair would get a little blondish from the sun and the chlorine. But it always darkened back to red when I wasn't out in the sun/pool. My hair gets darker red in winter and can get slightly lighter in the summer. It's not a dramatic or really noticeable difference though. Yes, I burn very easily, too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:17 pm 
Bosom Friend

My hair was very blonde when i was a child.Then when i became a teen it got darker.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:42 pm 
Window Friend

Have you ever heard of someone who had a high fever and lost their hair? And then it grows back in a different color or texture. I have heard of that several times. And I think it happened in the LMM book Pat of Silver Bush.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:10 am 
Kindred Spirit

Yeah, I remb that in Pat of Silver Bush, I haven't heard of it happening to anyone I know in real life though. My mom said she knew of someone who went completely gray from extreme stress over the course of only a few weeks. :o

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:04 am 
Window Friend

If you ever read the book Follow the River by James Alexander Thom, the character Mary Draper Ingles was a real historical figure. She was kidnapped by Indians near present day Blacksburg VA in the 1700's. She escaped from where they took her which was somewhere in the Ohio territory. It was in the winter and there was barely anything to eat. She was only 23 and her hair was said to have turned completely white. This is supposed to be a true story that was written as a novel.

My stepfather had scarlet fever as a child and his hair fell out. It was curly and blond. It came back in straight and dark.

My grandmother's sister tore out a patch of her hair in delerium when she was young and the patch grew back in white.

Last edited by queenanne on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 am 
Kindred Spirit

I have a relative who, after having a high fever, had her hair fall out. I *think* it grew back in as white, but don't quote me on that.