toddm
Window Friend

"TV crushes"

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Anyone care to share any of theirs from the past or present? (Not strictly from TV, can be movies too.) Pics make it fun too : )

I'll start with one of mine: Laura Petrie (Mary Tyler Moore) from "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (thanks to reruns on Nick at Nite years ago.)

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Re: "TV crushes"

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:14 am

Aw, she was really pretty and I loved the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I thought Mr. Dyke was pretty handsome when I watched TDVDS on Nick-at-Nite, too. I've always liked goofy, funny guys, too. Of course, I had the crushes on Gus and Gilbert as an adolescent (and still think they're handsome today). One that people find funny from when I was young was Aladdin, the cartoon. I was 14 when that came out and had a crush on a boy who I thought looked like him. Incidentally that "boy" is now bald. Why are all my former crushes bald now?! Image
I also thought the guy who did that voice of Aladdin was cute. He was DJ's boyfriend on Full House, too.
ImageImageImage

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:52 am

nICK CARTER FROM bsb,

“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

AvFan4vr
Kindred Spirit

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Dick Van Dyke reminds me of one of my brothers... in looks and facial expressions... mannerisms too...

TV Crush... hm... I really don't recall ever having a crush on a tv person... though to be honest I can't say that there have been all that many people I have had a crush on. :b
Image ImageImage

toddm
Window Friend

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 pm

^ Dick Van Dyke is hilarious and so talented - one of the last great song-and-dance Vaudeville-esque entertainers, not many of those types anymore - he's a real wholesome person as far as I've observed

Hannah, I didn't realize the guy who did Aladdin's voice looked so much like Aladdin - I had always heard they used Tom Cruise as a model for the face

Reminds me also of guys who've said they had a "crush" on Jasmine from that film - I think it's pretty funny to have a crush on a cartoon character myself, but if I ever would have I think Belle would have been more my type :)

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:44 pm

No, they didn't use Tom Cruise. They usually model the faces on the people who do the voices. If there are two people, they blend the two faces to create the character. Scott Weinger did the speaking voice and Brad Kane did his singing voice. You can see Kane's resemblance in Aladdin's appearance very strongly (and he looks very much like my IRL at the time crush). He was originally going to be his speaking voice, too. Image http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0437267/bio
The stuff about basing the character's appearance on the actors who voice him/her I remember from a behind-the-scenes about the movie on the Disney Channel when it was coming out. I see now that it says that about Tom Cruise in the imdb trivia of the movie. It's possible he was also used but I don't really see it. Nor do I see Jennifer Connelly in Jasmine. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103639/trivia

ETA: Actually the woman who did Jasmine's singing voice was not blond. Her name is Lea Salonga. I thought that I remembered her looking like Jasmine and she does: Image

Using another example, Ariel (the Little Mermaid) you can see elements of the actress who voiced her in Ariel's appearance. She was made a redhead to distinguish from Darryl Hannah's blond mermaid in the then recent, popular movie Splash. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0072533/
Last edited by hannikan on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImage

toddm
Window Friend

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:02 pm

^ wow, he looks just like Aladdin - I have my doubts about Tom Cruise being used too now : )

another one of my crushes (again, from old reruns I saw) was Penny Robinson on Lost in Space (played by Angela Cartwright) - she was also in The Sound of Music when she was a bit younger:

ever charming and sweet - she's now my parents age : )

---todd

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:33 pm

^ Aw, she looks a little like a young Sarah Polley in that photo. I think I remember her from the Sound of Music. She was a quiet one who liked to read, right? A funny tidbit is the woman who played Liesl (the oldest daughter) did a reading/book signing at the bookstore I worked at a few years ago. She was obviously much older by then! You would not have recognized her.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0139642/
ImageImageImage

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:39 am

JTT!! MY 90s crush!!

“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

toddm
Window Friend

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:54 am

^ ha! I wonder what that guy's doing nowadays : )

Also, from a few posts back, did those guys from Back Street Boys do anything later? Will be interesting to see where the latest craze Justin Bieber is in 10 years.

^ Aw, she looks a little like a young Sarah Polley in that photo. I think I remember her from the Sound of Music. She was a quiet one who liked to read, right?

yeah, that was her:
She played Brigitta:

A funny tidbit is the woman who played Liesl (the oldest daughter) did a reading/book signing at the bookstore I worked at a few years ago. She was obviously much older by then! You would not have recognized her.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0139642/

yeah, I would not have recognized her - some people look like their younger selves when elderly, but not her apparently, at least not in that pic

It seems that Angela Cartwright still speaks positively about all the roles she had when she was a child actress - likewise, anything I've heard about all the kids from Sound of Music, they all seem to speak very positively about the film and the experience they had - they felt no need to separate themselves later from their more "innocent" acting past, to further their careers as adults.

Here's a nice little video tribute to Penny Robinson from "Lost in Space": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98G9CPzdP8&playnext=1&list=PLC461ECBE95ED7D56&feature=results_video

---todd

kittywampus
Bosom Friend

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Jessica Rabbit, of course! She's not bad, she's just drawn that way.

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Yes!.BSB are still around making albumbs...I Don't get the Justin B crazness.LOL.Ya i wounder if he will still be around ten years fropm now

Vanja
Bosom Friend

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation

Dylan
Bosom Friend

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Interesting, I wanted to be like Wesley. ;-)

Deanna Troi from Star Trek: The Next Generation

toddm
Window Friend

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 am

^ ha, what is it about girls in outer space? :D

Dylan wrote:Interesting, I wanted to be like Wesley.

In my early teens, I wanted to be like Alex from "Family Ties", and have Mallory as a girlfriend lol

Last edited by toddm on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am

Love that show!!!

AvFan4vr
Kindred Spirit

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 am

Okay, Rilla informed me that I wasn't telling the truth.

Logan Bartholomew who played Willie in the Love Comes Softly series is a pretty nice looking guy.
Image ImageImage

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 pm

toddm wrote:^ ha, what is it about girls in outer space? :D

Dylan wrote:Interesting, I wanted to be like Wesley.

In my early teens, I wanted to be like Alex from "Family Ties", and have Mallory as a girlfriend lol

LOL, I married Alex Keaton. Not in looks but in personality. And that would make me Jennifer or the mom, I guess. He's Mr. Libertarian Republican and I'm pretty liberal.

Did you watch head of the class? I always wanted to be the redheaded Simone and thought her boyfriend with the leather jacket was cute.
ImageImageImage

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:41 am

Actually I think I married Andy Keaton, the baby of the family, who was Alex's protege after all. He was grooming him to be Alex P. Keaton II. On the left is my husband (who went by Andy until college) and on the right is the actor baby. Don't they look like the same?! And almost the right age, too. My husband's a few years older. Image
ImageImageImage

toddm
Window Friend

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 am

^ I forgot about Andy - haven't seen that show in many years, surprised reruns don't come on

LOL, I married Alex Keaton. Not in looks but in personality.

God bless you! I went through a stage back then where I tried to be sarcastic and witty all the time like Alex - was very obnoxious I'm sure. :)

I remember "Head of Class" coming on, but never watched it - so many shows like that came on back then

Do you remember "It's Your Move?" - it was a really funny less well-known sitcom back then. It had a young Jason Bateman on it, and he played a character very much like Alex Keaton (funny because he's the real-life brother of the actress who played Mallory). Jason Bateman and Michael J Fox always seemed alike to me, similar personalities - they also both played the lead in successive installments of the 80s "Teen Wolf" films, so I guess there were others thought they were somewhat alike too.

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:14 am

I don't remember that show but maybe I just don't remember the name because I remember Jason Bateman from that period of time. Yep, Jason and Justine Bateman. I actually got Justine Bateman mixed up with Meredith Salanger (Natty Gann) when I was a kid. They look very similar.

Justine Bateman:

Meredith Salenger:

Okay so back to my crushes from youth... how could you not have a crush on Theodore Huxtable? From this:
To This:
To Now:

Incidentally, I always essentially wanted to marry Bill Cosby/Cliff Huxtable. When I was younger, I pictured that my husband when we were middle-aged would be like him. And I would be like the elegant, stylish and witty Clair, of course. Maybe we're not too far off... ;)
ImageImageImage

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:04 am

They do look a little alike.

RillaBlythe
Bosom Friend

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 am

AvFan4vr wrote:Okay, Rilla informed me that I wasn't telling the truth.
Logan Bartholomew who played Willie in the Love Comes Softly series is a pretty nice looking guy.

~laughs~ I didn't think you'd actually post that... :) He is handsome... :)

My first tv crush was Fred Savage...

Then later, Jonathan Crombie and Michael Mahonen... then later (.I guess current?) would still be Jonathan Crombie, plus Kyle Chandler (Hi Whitney! ;)) when he was on Homefront and Early Edition...and sometimes other movies...

and Matthew from Downton Abbey. :)

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:27 pm

Krissy2012 wrote:They do look a little alike.

Meredith Salenger and Justine Bateman? Yeah, they do.

Aw, nice avatar, Rilla!! :D And yes, Kyle Chandler is "a fine specimen of a man," as Nanny Louisa would say, apparently. Although I always found it creepy when Sara says that at like 10 yr old about Malcolm. :-o :shock: Aw, Matthew. Like I say, he and Mary are the 2nd coming of Anne and Gilbert.

The actors are pretty adorable together in interviews, too. Even though Dan is married with two children and Michelle has a long term boyfriend.
ImageImageImage

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 pm

Aw, at first glance I thought that was Lisa Bonet (Denise on the Cosby Show) with her husband on the show. I don't usually go in for military men much but wooza, he was cute.

and of course at the time in real life Lisa Bonet was married to Lenny Kravitz, who I also had a crush on when I was younger: Image
ImageImageImage

AvFan4vr
Kindred Spirit

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:14 am

Rilla: ~laughs~ I didn't think you'd actually post that...
I think I'd still argue the crush aspect, however... ~laughs~
Image ImageImage

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Yeah, I don't know if I would say I had a crush on any of these guys like I would a real person. I didn't know them and one was not even truly human so I'd say probably not. ;)
ImageImageImage

toddm
Window Friend

Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:57 pm

My kids and I have been watching some old Little House on the Prairie episodes (the kids actually like them!) and I remembered that I had an early infatuation with Mary:

but certainly not her:

lol! - she's as bad as I remember; her mother too!

felicity18
Bosom Friend

Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:36 am

For me its: Micheal Weatherly and Mark Harmon from NCIS. Then from Bones David Boreanaz. Finally the best for last, Yannick Bisson from Murdoch Mysteries.

felicity18
"Yes, but your not one of those persons are you? Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:04 am

AvFan4vr
Kindred Spirit

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:59 am

Aw, come on! What's wrong with Nellie?

I actually got to meet Allison/Nellie a few years ago. I was able to meet Dean Butler/Almonzo too. I really enjoyed meeting Dean... he was very down to earth. Talking to him was like meeting up with an old friend.

I actually really enjoyed Harriet, especially in the later years. She was hilarious.

Did you know that they've been remastering LHotP and releasing it as the original broadcast length? So far they've release the first three seasons to blu ray but all the seasons have been remastered and are available for purchase via on-line streaming.
Image ImageImage

toddm
Window Friend

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:40 am

^ I bet that actress had fun playing Nellie : )

My daughter really enjoys the Little House books we read together, so she really took to the old series I remember watching as a kid - our library has all the seasons on new DVDs, and they look pretty good, not as dated-looking as I've seen before - of course they are nothing like the actual books aside from the core characters, but good in their own way

Speaking of that, a few years ago Disney put out a TV mini-series based on the first two Little House books, and it is surprising good, very well-made, great cinematography and acting, and follows the books pretty closely - my daughter loves it, picked up the complete series for under $10 on ebay:

Return to “General Chat”